Thursday, April 21, 2011

Love Actually is All Around

Man oh man. The past couple of weeks have been wonderful (and have passed by entirely too fast). A couple of months ago, my wonderful friend, Taylor, convinced me to allow her to invite a some friends to gather at the Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg, MS to celebrate my upcoming departure and send me off with love and good beer. I have never been one to ask people to gather on my account, so I am so thankful to Taylor for suggesting it and taking the initiative to coordinate it.

I was absolutely floored at the number of friends that showed up to give me a sweet note and hug my neck. Friends came from out of town and friends planned their weekend around spending time with me. I know that I am loved, but to physically see so many people that I love and that love me gathered in one place was awesome. I will never forget it. I am blessed beyond expression.
               My cake. "Tan Bun" means "stay well." Based on my knowledge of Sranan Tongo.

                                           a few friends eating Mexican post Keg and Barrel

The night became a little emotional as I said goodbye to friends that I have not seen in a while and probably will not see again for while. I cannot thank my friends and family enough for loving me and supporting my decision to serve in the Peace Corps.

Last weekend I spent time with my grandmother in MS. We had a wonderful time on the Gulf Coast shopping, eating, eating again, and enjoying each other's company. Sunday we went to church where I, once again, received words of kindness and support. The pastor of the church asked me to tell everyone a little bit about what I would be doing, and then she prayed for me.

I leave for Miami in 11 days. Time is zooming and, even still, I have to remind myself that this is really happening. I have connected with a few folks in my training group via facebook, and absolutely cannot wait to meet them in Miami.

Thank you to everyone that came to see me and to everyone that loves me more than I could have asked for. I love you back.


No comments:

Post a Comment