Monday, February 6, 2012

Jungle Updates

I have never really been one to update my Facebook status very often, and I don't have Twitter. While a lot of things have changed since I moved to the jungle, this is not one of them. I am definitely trying new things, but my lack internet access prevents me from updating folks every time something funny or unusual happens.

A couple of weeks ago I started writing down a few things that made me laugh or think, "This is not real life." Here are a couple:

10 January- The lady that lives behind me just walked past my house and asked me to giver her underwear.   Seriously.

12 January- I took a picture of a boa constrictor. I was unsuccessful at convincing the kids they shouldn't throw rocks at it.

15 January- I am pretty confident the bats in my ceiling have expanded their family or have invited their bat friends to live there too. I am outnumbered.

17 January- In bed for the night. An overweight gecko just tackled and ate a flying grasshopper on top of my bed net. Goodnight, jungle.

19 January- Visiting Jonathan at his site for a few days. He just chopped a bat in half with his machete. I am not phased or shocked. This is normal.

25 January- I was just called to my neighbor's house to look at two dead monkeys. I think I am going to eat some later.

26 January- It's not noon yet. I just ate a monkey hand. Tomorrow I will eat McDonald's in the city.

These are just a few examples of daily life in Malobi. I have moments every single day that make me laugh at the fact that this is my real life. I feel incredibly fortunate to be in this position and to experience all of the above and many many more interesting (and sometimes bizarre) things everyday. My life is nothing less than wonderful.

I go back to site in a couple of days, and will not be back in the city until the end of March. Malobi needs a rice mill, so in the next couple of months I will begin meeting with the leaders of the village to discuss how the village may obtain one and what their responsibilities in the project will be. I also plan to re-cement the front room of my house and install more shelving. I plan to visit Jamie at her village, and she is coming to visit Malobi.

In the middle of all of this, I will celebrate my twenty-fifth birthday. Man oh man.  I never imagined I would celebrate a birthday in the jungle. Then again, I never imagined I would do most of the things I have done in the past nine months. Life is so good and so full of adventure. I am thankful for that everyday.




1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for posting this. I just read it aloud to Josh and we both got a huge kick out of it.
    How did the monkey hand taste? I imagine tendon-y.

    I hope you are taking care of yourself out in that jungle!

    ReplyDelete