Saturday, February 26, 2011

Brooke and Jimmy

I returned a few days ago from visiting one of my best friends in New York. I had not seen Audrey since early September and I had never been to New York, so I was super excited about my trip. The few days we had together were awesome. We had a total blast and we touched Jimmy Fallon. It was great.

Monday morning I had to leave. Audrey walked me out, hailed a cab for me, and we said goodbye. As my cab pulled away, the reality of my decision to move far away crept up on me as it so often does these days. Don't worry, I managed to hold back my tears and avoid an awkward moment with the cab driver, but it was hard. I probably will not see Audrey again before I leave, which means I may not see her for the next 29 months. Well, not just Audrey, (her head will get too big if she knows I like her a lot) there are a lot of people that I may not see again before I leave. This part of my decision is hard to accept.

Despite the hard parts, I am comforted by the overwhelming amounts of love, support, and encouragement the people I love have provided me with. My cup runneth over. In fact, my cup is drowning. I am a lucky girl and sometimes I fall asleep before I can count all my blessings.

Lately I have been packing up most everything I own, excluding clothes and shoes. I am trying not to think much about packing for Suriname yet. I become really overwhelmed and usually end up taking a nap when I do. I have a master list that I make notes on when something pops into my head. I will get it all together before May 3. In my immediate future I have other things to prepare and pack for: Mardi Gras in New Orleans and quality time In Hattiesburg, MS with wonderful friends. I am so excited.

For those folks wondering, the answer is yes. Yes, I completely believe I will be better able to serve in the Peace Corps now that Jimmy Fallon has held my hand.

1 comment: