Sunday, May 22, 2011

Mi lobi Saana. I love Suriname.

Life is about the same as a couple of days ago. We still have language and cultural classes, as well as a session at night.

Last Sunday most of SUR 17 returned to Foto (Paramaribo's nickname) to meet up with some PCVs for a tour of the capital. Paramaribo looks like a ghost town on Sunday. The stores close about 1 o'clock on Saturday and the only things open on Sunday are a few restaurants. I saw a McDonald's, Popeyes, and a Burger King.

We went to the Chinese Market first and I had a delicious pork dumpling. I saw tons of statues and the Presidential Palace. Oh, and Suriname is home to one of the only places in the world where you can find a synagogue and a mosque next to each other. I'm pretty sure it is the only place in the world where they share a parking lot.
One of the PCVs, Denise, was headed back to America after our fun filled day in the city. She had not been home, nor had she seen her family in 2 years. It gives me chills to think about how she was feeling. I haven't been here three weeks yet, but it is impossible to avoid thinking about seeing folks I love during and after my service. However, I'm sure that returning to the States after 27 months away will be harder than I can imagine at this point.

Language training was a little overwhelming last week. I was really tired and it was hard to focus and study. Although I have to remind myself to be patient at times, I am not at all disappointed in my progress. Less than 2 weeks ago I had never heard a word of Saamaka Tongo, and now I can hold a basic conversation. I also know the days of the week and how to count in two new languages (Dutch and Saamaka Tongo). I am proud of myself.

I move in with a host family in a week. I am ready to meet them and so excited to be thrown into their way of life. I have no doubts that it will be shocking and difficult at times, but that's one of the many reasons I chose to come here.
We played kick ball a couple of nights ago, and I took my first run in Suriname a few days ago with a fellow trainee.  I would really love to run the half marathon in the city in November. Maybe in 2012 I will do the full. That would be awesome to say that my first 26.2 race was in Suriname during my PC service.

Yesterday and today our group was divided in half to attend a eco farming seminar. I went today, so I spent a few hours in Foto yesterday running a few errands with some other trainees. The seminar was really interesting and gave me more insight into composting and setting an example for my future site of a better, more sustainable way of farming.

No huge spiders yet. There are tons of frogs everywhere, especially since we are getting into the rainy season. Kate, a fellow trainee, was walking the other night in the dark and kicked a toad the size of a small melon. She said it really hurt her foot. The thing was seriously big.

Tomorrow starts another week. I have four more language sessions before I move in with a family to put it all into action. I am so excited.

Peace.


1 comment:

  1. Love hearing about your new adventure. Settling in is so exciting and scary at the same time! We want pictures!!

    ReplyDelete