Sunday, May 1, 2011

Not Alone

Wow, the time has really come for me to leave Mississippi. The days since I received my invitation have flown by. The past week I was able to stay busy, which left little time to think about my upcoming departure. I spent Easter weekend at my grandmother's house in Raleigh, MS with some of my family. Tears came as I hugged my grandmother and brother and said "I love yous" and "be seeing ya". April 27th I went to Jackson to meet my friend, Josh, to take a trip to New Orleans in a minivan. We went to see the Railroad Revival Tour and it was awesome. My roommate for life and one of my best friends, Taylor, came to meet me there. I don't think my smile left my face all night.

This past Friday I went to Oxford, MS to hang out with Kathryn one last time before my departure. I also saw my dear friends Russ & Anna Polsgrove. What a wonderful weekend and way to spend some of my last days in Mississippi. I am loved and I have a lot of people to miss in the next 27 months.

This morning I went to church with my parents. As we extended our hands to say a prayer for some folks going on mission trips this summer, I closed my eyes and felt my mama lay her hand on my arm. I'm not sure what was said in the prayer, but I know my mom was crying and praying for me the whole time.

Wednesday night as Taylor, Josh, and I stood beside the Mississippi River, sweating and listening to Mumford and Sons sing songs, I thought once again about how lucky I am. As the band played their song, "Timshel," I thought about the next 27 months and I was reminded of how many people I have rooting for me and loving me. The chorus says this,
                                    But you are not alone in this
                                    and you are not alone in this
                                    As brothers we will stand and we'll hold your hand
                                    Hold your hand

I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the people in my life. It is an amazing feeling to know that people are so proud of me and love me so much. I have learned so much in the past few months, and cannot wait to learn even more about myself and the world. I will leave Mississippi in the morning with the confidence that I am loved and that I am doing exactly what I was created for. And one thing is for sure, hugs are way tighter when you're leaving the country. I can only imagine the hugs waiting for me when I return after my service.

Tomorrow I leave Mississippi to make another continent and country my home once again. Your prayers are welcomed as I fulfill the latest calling for my life and my service.







 

1 comment:

  1. Brooke,

    How is it there so far? I want to know what it was like traveling there and what you saw when you arrived. I wonder how many stamps go on a letter that far away :) What are your living quarters like? Take some pics and post them on here! Love you friend, good luck!

    Hollyn

    ReplyDelete