Wednesday, September 21, 2011

This Hannah Montana Backpack is Nice

I am headed back out to site tomorrow and wanted to share a story that I think is hilarious.

Yesterday my friend and fellow volunteer, Erin, and I ran around the city checking off things on out 'To Do' lists. Before I left Malobi, a lady asked me to buy: two new school shirts, underwear, notebooks, pens, a backpack, and a denim skirt for her daughter. I agreed because this lady is one of my friends and it is hard for folks in the Interior to get into the city to shop. So, can we just imagine me running around a hot city, back to school shopping, buying things for my friend that gave me a list in Saramaccan, trying to find them in a city where people speak Dutch, not to mention trying to find underwear to fit an eight year old girl?

This ranks up there with having a bank account in a foreign country and not flushing a toilet for two months, along with the numerous other things I just never thought I would do or not be able to do.

At least now I can check off back to school shopping in a foreign country for someone else's child off my list? Goodness.

My life is pretty funny at times. Most of the time my life is funny. For this and so much more, I am grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment