Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Camp GLOW

On November 2nd, thirty girls from three villages were welcomed by fourteen Saramaccan women and seventeen PCVs to a tourist camp on the Upper Suriname River to participate in the third Camp GLOW to be held on the river. Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World), is a leadership and empowerment camp for young girls, ages 12-up.

We hold Camp GLOW because girls living in the interior of Suriname receive little encouragement to continue their studies past the sixth grade. They are presented with minimal basic life skill development information, and face pressures to engage in sex at a young age. Camp GLOW encourages girls to continue their education, while also exposing them to the different opportunities they do have. The girls leave camp with a better understanding of ways to protect themselves and make healthy lifestyle choices. They are more empowered, and will hopefully return to their villages and share what they learned with others in their families and villages. 

Everyone that participated in Camp GLOW

In the midst of playing games and having an absolute blast, the girls attended lessons. They learned about the importance of doing their part to take care of the environment. They discussed gender roles and goal setting, which really challenged them to think about what their options are and what they want to be when they grow up. We talked about nutrition and self-esteem and the importance of taking care of our bodies. Most importantly, the girls were led through a discussion on HIV/AIDS. We talked about what HIV/AIDS is, how it's spread, and ways to protect ourselves against it.  Like all places in the world, HIV/AIDS is present. Like most places in the world, it's a very scary subject and it's not talked about enough. The last night of camp a lady living with HIV came and spoke to the girls. Hopefully through her testimony, the girls will not only gain a better understanding of how to protect themselves, but also realize that people with HIV/AIDS can still live a normal life. 

Girls listen to a lesson on HIV/AIDS
I served on the logistics team for camp and had an absolute blast. We were responsible for setting up for sessions and games. We served all the meals, and danced as we put food on everyone's plates. It was great. I was also a part of the green team, so I was also able to hang out with girls and play games with them. The week had "Peace Corps" written all over it. 

Helping girls on the green team tie dye our t-shirts
On November 6th we had to say goodbye to the girls. They 100%-absolutely-completely-no-doubt-about-it did not want to leave camp. These girls came from three different villages, and found new friends in each other. They most likely would not have met without this camp. It was so cool to see the new friendships they formed, how much they learned, and what they said they would take back and share with their own villages and families.

From a very young age, I have been in situations that require me to meet new people. The thought of Summer camp in America is so very common. Kids meet kids from other places all the time. I grew up going to camps, sometimes by choice and sometimes not. Until I was a part of Camp GLOW, I cannot honestly say I ever truly thought about the value in that. Just think- I was given a choice, and when my parents thought I didn't make the right one, they were there to see the value in something I did not quite understand. We all know it by now, but I am blessed and so very grateful. 

I will be in Paramaribo for a few more days. I go back to site on the 26th. December 1-5, we are holding the first Boy's Leadership Camp on the river. Three boys from my village are going and I am so excited. I went with a couple of other volunteers to tell the boys what they were going to have the opportunity to do, and as they tried to hold back their thirteen year old smiles through little giggles, I knew they could not wait. I think that a camp for boys in this culture is just as important as the ones that have been held for girls. I cannot wait to be a part of what they will learn and the lessons they will take away from those few days. 

All the photos in this post were taken by my fellow volunteer (and Mississippian) Ryan Dapremont


No comments:

Post a Comment