Sunday, December 25, 2011

I'll Be Home for Christmas If Only in My Dreams

Today is Christmas. It's my first Christmas away from my family. This Christmas I treated myself to a nice hotel room with a really comfy bed and a tv. Last night I took a hot shower for the first time since May 2. All I could do was smile, like an idiot, the entire time. Although I have to admit, like most experiences I've had in this country, it felt foreign. I am staying at this nice hotel with my friend and fellow PCV, Jamie. We had dinner by the pool last night and a delicious breakfast this morning. I have spent the majority of today in my room, watching tv and taking advantage of the hotel's internet. It has been super relaxing, and I will not judge myself if I cry when I have to check out tomorrow. 

Being away for the holidays has been an odd experience. However, I have not been as sad as I thought I might be. I know my family members are having a great holiday, and that makes me happy. I miss them and completely wish I could be there, and obviously they wish the same. 


Christmas love. 

I Skyped with the family this morning and we opened presents. Santa made it to Suriname and I am so very thankful he did. 

The Hawaii Bowl was on ESPN here today. Southern Miss to the top! 


This Christmas I traded peppermint mocha and time with my family for Peace Corps service and bug bites. I traded scarves and gloves for a really great tan, and traded turkey for pizza. I am where I should be this Christmas and, as always, I am overwhelmed with the love and support from those who mean most to me. 

And so, this Christmas I will remind myself (as I sweat and scratch bug bites) that I am here because I believe in a world governed by love and peace. I will remind myself that it is this way because the world was given a Savior, and that I am saved because of Him. On this night divine I will rejoice with the weary world and do so because of the love, joy, and peace, that lives within me because of the love that is so freely given to me. 

Happy Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment