Friday, December 30, 2011

This Year

I feel like everyone says it every single year, but seriously, I cannot believe another year is coming to an end. So much has happened this past year, it's hard to capture it all in one blog post. Hopefully I have been doing an okay job of that since I started this blog. My friend and fellow PCV, John, posted a blog listing a few of the things he had never done before coming to Suriname. I think it's a neat way to reflect on all of the new experiences that were brought to me this year as I prepare to bid adieu to 2011. I am stealing his idea, but you can click here to read his blog. Sorry if it is more interesting than mine.

While most of the things I have experienced since being here are new and different, these are a few that stick out in my mind.
Before I moved to Suriname, never had I ever...

  • eaten a mango fresh off of the tree (or ground)
  • bathed in a river or with cold water
  • been to the jungle
  • eaten a pig's tail or a piranha
  • spoken anything besides English on a daily basis
  • had such a great tan in December
  • used a latrine
  • held a baby sloth
  • held so many babies
  • washed clothes and dishes by hand
  • lived without refrigeration and running water
  • lived alone
  • gone a week without washing my hair (Bonnaroo is 4 days, people)
  • been to South America
  • owned a machete and given it to children to use
  • had to deal with bats and rats helping me inhabit my house
  • seen a tarantula in person
  • not freaked out when I saw any size or type of spider
  • tied and slept in my own hammock. outside. in the jungle.
These are things that I did not resolve to do in 2011, but I am incredibly thankful that I have experienced them. Isn't that the way it usually is? I think so.

I think I have to give 2011 the credit for being one of the biggest and most defining years of my life. It has been huge. I was invited to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer and I accepted. I spent so much wonderful time with the people I love in preparation for not being able to spend time with them for a little while. I said goodbye to my dear family and friends knowing I would not be able to hug them for a while. Without knowing it, I also said goodbye to Mexican food and the joy it brings to my life for equally as much time. (Honestly, this year could have turned out totally differently had I know there was none to be found in this country). Finally May arrived and, despite being terrified, I boarded a plane bound for Miami.

Almost eight months later I sit here reflecting on the experiences I have had and the people that have been a part of them, and despite not being filled with Mexican food, I am filled with gratitude for the life I lead and the folks in it who make is so much sweeter.

The coming of the New Year is always a little sad for me, and that's because the current year is always pretty rockin' for me. I'm sad to see 2011 go. It has been a tremendous year. Good luck, 2012.

As I look forward to the many adventures, challenges, and experiences 2012 is sure to bring, I want to wish all of you a very happy New Year. Thank you for supporting me and keeping up with my life in 2011.

"And surely you will buy your cup and surely I'll buy mine and we'll take a cup of kindness yet for auld lang syne."

No comments:

Post a Comment